PROFILE OF SHRI A.B. PANDYA, MEMBER (D&R),
CENTRAL WATER COMMISSION
Shri A.B. Pandya, Member (D&R), CWC & Ex-officio Additional Secretary to the Government of India was born on 23rd April, 1955. He did B.E. (Civil Engineering) from Saurashtra University and M.Tech. in Structural Engineering, from IIT, Delhi. Shri Pandya joined the Central Water Engineering Service in CWC in October, 1977 as Assistant Director and has held various positions in the Department and other organizations under the Ministry of Water Resources like WAPCOS, NWDA and NPCC.
In his 35 years of distinguished service encompassing all aspects of water resources sector, Shri Pandya has gained all round experience in water resources sector involving resource assessment, project planning, design, execution, operation and safety assurance, funds management, commercial consultancy management etc.
Major areas of his works include
· Planning of water resources projects for hydropower and irrigation including regional planning for optimum water resources utilization.
· Managing funding programmes for accelerated development of water resources projects and problems analysis as well as policy formulation for smoother funds flow.
· Advanced experience in engineering software developments and associated technologies like NET platform for desktop and web based developments. Planning and implementing IT infrastructure projects.
· Advanced experience, numerical modeling of structures and geotechnical problems using elasto-plastic material model and finite elements.
· Real time flood and conservation operation of a chain of reservoirs and interstate water management for a basin. Planning and implementation of satellite based real-time telemetry networks for gauging and flood forecasting.
· Handling legal and constitutional aspects of interstate water disputes and international water data sharing
· Dam safety assurance and management of dam safety programmes including distress analysis and recommendation of remedial measures for dams and appurtenant works, comprehensive safety review of dams and setting up guidelines and legal frame work for dam safety.
· Design of dams and appurtenant works. Analysis and planning for alternative layouts.
. Planning structural behaviour, monitoring programmes for dams and analyzing the observed behaviour of dams.